Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I'm not that interesting

So my life is not that interesting as of late. But I actually remembered to blog and wanted to. So what does one blog about when their life is not interesting? Whatever I want :)

One thing I love about living at home with my parents is the fun late nights Brett and I spend talking with my dad! The 3 of us are all a bad influence on one another because we stay up way to late chatting away, but it has really been a highlight of my time at home. I am thankful for Brett who is a HUGE question asker. So of course, he asks my dad questions about life that I would have never even thought to ask, because....he's my dad. And I already know him. RIGHT?! Well, actually I've learned a TON about my dad's childhood, passions, work, and just his life in general. It's really fun. Hopefully the feeling is mutual :).

Tonight Brett and I made dinner for my parents. We try to do this often since they are letting us stay in their house, but we have realized that we have more night/dinner appointments with ministry partners than we thought, so this is actually only the 3rd time we've cooked for them. OOPS. Anyway, I combined several different recipes and made garlic-lime chicken (idea taken from Brett's cousin Kimberly, who got the recipe from Pioneer Woman) with a Mango-Peach salsa/relish to go on top (Brett's sister Julia made this for a family gathering and I loved it!). We had sides of cilantro-lime rice and crescent rolls. Absolutely delicious other than going a little heavy on the cilantro. It was fun to cook since we haven't in a while and to try out a new dish that was easy and inspired by people I love. I'll leave you with the recipe!

Click HERE to get the chicken recipe. The Pioneer Woman made this with a corn relish, but I changed that out and did the Mango-Peach salsa because I had loved it so much when Julia made it.

Here is what I used for the Mango-Peach salsa, all props to Julia Marcos:
2 mangos (slice to small sqaures)
1 peach (slice to small squares) - I added this to Julia's recipe b/c I like peaches - and I was slightly afraid that the mango wasn't good so I wanted the peach to balance it out - ha!
1/4 red onion (cut up finely)
1/4 cup of cilantro (cut up to small pieces)
1 tablespoon of lime juice
salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all together and put a spoonful over the chicken :)

The Salsa - I also love that it's colorful!
And for the rice I just went to good old allrecipes.com. Click HERE for that recipe. We used minute rice though :)

Until next time,

Kim

2 comments:

  1. Yum! That sounds awesome. I will have to try your version (chicken with the mango/peach salsa) next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The receipe sounds good. Ill have to try it. Life might not be that interesting buy I bet what the Lord is teaching you is. MPD is like the wilderness time where a lot of growth is happening because God is speaking and revealing to us sins in our lives. I would love to know what you are learning. I envy the sweet moments yall are having with your dad. Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete